Buttermilk Bacon Muffins
Apples and smoky bacon are a wonderful combination anytime, and they make a good-tasting muffin, too. Serve these for breakfast with fried or scrambled eggs or with a bowl of hot cereal. Store leftover muffins in the refrigerator.
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) water, boiling
- ½ cup (2 ½ oz/75 g) yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (10 oz/315 g) all- purpose (plain) flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (3 oz/90 g) unsalted butter, Melted
- Preheat an oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Butter standard muffin tins.
- In a frying pan, fry the bacon until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain and cool.
- Crumble the cooled bacon and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir and toss together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and egg until smooth.
- Add to the combined dry ingredients, along with the apple and the reserved bacon, and stir just until blended.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about three-quarters full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in the tins for 3 minutes, then remove.
Make this Buttermilk Bacon Muffins and please let us know your experience.
Other Muffins Recipes