Corn Kernel Bacon Muffins
A little crisp bacon gives these muffins a hearty flavor, while cornmeal and corn kernels lend an earthy texture. You may, if you wish, substitute vegetable oil for the bacon drippings, although the bacon taste will be slightly diminished. Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- ¾ cup (4 oz/125 g) all-purpose (plain) Flour
- ¾ cup (4 oz/125 g) yellow or white Cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) sour cream
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (2 oz/60g) unsalted butter, Melted
- ¼ cup (1 ½ oz/45 g) diced, peeled Green chilies
- ½ cup (2 oz/60 g) finely grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat an oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Butter standard muffin tins.
- In a frying pan fry the bacon until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain and cool.
- Reserve ¼ cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) of the drippings.
- Crumble the cooled bacon and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl stir and toss together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk, egg, corn kernels, and reserved bacon drippings until blended.
- Add to the combined dry ingredients, along with the crumbled bacon, and stir just until blended.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Cool in the tins for 3 minutes, then remove.
Make this Corn Kernel Bacon Muffins Recipe and please let us know your experience.
Other Muffins Recipes