Cornmeal Nugget Muffins
Small nuggets of toasted cornmeal give these buttery corn muffins the appearance of containing tiny golden pebbles. Sever them with any lively soup, stew, or chili.
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- 1 large apple, such as a golden delicious or pippin
- 1 ½ cups (7 ½ oz/235 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
- ¼ cup (3/4 oz/20 g) regular uncooked Oatmeal (rolled oats)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (2 oz/60 g) unsalted butter, Melted
- ¾ cup (3 oz/90 g) finely grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat an oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Butter standard muffin tins and a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl stir together the boiling water, cornmeal, and ½ teaspoon of salt; don’t worry if some small lumps remain in the mixture.
- Spread in a thin layer on the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven until golden brown and toasted looking, about 25 minutes.
- Cool completely, and then crumble into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir and toss together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter until smooth.
- Add to the combined dry ingredients, along with the cornmeal nuggets, and stir just until blended.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about three-quarters full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in the tins for 3 minutes, then remove.
Other Muffins Recipes